Soup - Cream of Celery

The inspiration to try out new dishes got a shot during my visit to Anand and Nandini's home. I understand Anand is a master of soups and tries out different recipes. During my visit, he made a Chinese bottle gourd soup which was excellent. Hope to bring out his recipes one by one.

But for now wanted to prepare something quick and at the same time yummy for our monthly meeting of Kannada Sangha of Sacramento. (Hush.. I don't miss this as I go mainly to taste different foods! Preeti misses the fun every month as the meetings are always held on Sunday evenings. I come back and enter the home silently at 11 PM like a thief ..in Preeti's words)

This is the first time I am actually trying Celery. Don't know what the original recipe is and what all goes into it but try this one from my end.. Its simple, fast and I am sure what comes out will surprise you.

Ingredients

Celery - 5 to 6 sticks Chopped
Potato - 1 Peeled and Chopped
Onion - 1 Cut or sliced
Butter - 1 table Spoon
Milk - 1 Cup
Salt and Pepper - To taste
Carrot -1 minced (Optional)

Heat the butter in a Pot and Saute the Onions. When tender, add Celery & Potato, saute a little, add water and bring it to a boil. When Cooked well, allow it to cool. Then grind the mixture to a puree in a Mixie or Blender. Add water if you want.

Transfer this back to the pot. Add milk and bring it to a boil. Add water to adjust the consistency of the soup. The amount of consistency is relative and varies with every individual. Its your preference and so I leave it to you. Add Salt and Pepper to Taste.

Total Cooking time - About 30 Minutes.

Optional : When you add the milk and bring it to a boil, you can also added minced carrot. I like it.

I used 2% Milk.. Some recipes may call for heavy cream but try it with 2% and its tastes fine. Eat healthy. Good tasting food need not contain too much fat. This soup is an example to prove the point.