Sweet - Microwave Thirattipal


This is a interesting recipe which I learnt from Nandini Anand during my visit to their home last month. Maybe some of you already know this. I have tried Microwave Peda and it turned out to be excellent. This is a good addition to my collection.

I would even call it very innovative simply because each of us who have tried making it the "traditional way" of boiling the milk and splitting it know that to get 1 cup of "Thirattipal" we have to boil more than a gallon of milk. Add to it the time & fuel spent in cooking this.

The recipe shared by Nandini was so simple that after I saw her making it on Tamil New year (April 14th), I tried it at my home and pleasantly surprised Preeti with the results !! The quantity I got also was quite good. Try it out.. This is what I used. Some of you who have tried it may have used different proportions. Let me know.

Ingredients :-

Sweetened Condensed Milk - 1 Tin
Ghee - 2 Tea Spoon
Curd - 3 Tea spoon (I used home made)

Mix all these in a Big bowl and microwave on High. Time - May take 8 to 10 mts... (please use your judgement and look for the signs below on when to stop - This depends on the wattage of microwave)

Initially after a few minutes into microwave cooking you will start seeing the ingredients loose its viscosity [..by the way as per wikipedia..Viscosity is a measure of the resistance of a fluid which is being deformed by either shear stress or extensional stress. In everyday terms, viscosity is "thickness"] and starting to boil and one can see lot of froth. Make sure you use a big bowl so that this doesn't spill over.

Continue cooking and you will see that the froth slowly subsides (water is getting evaporated) and once in a while remove from microwave and see the consistency. You need to stop cooking just before it starts to become dry. We need a little moisture content so when it cools down, this setteles into a good thick Thirattipal.

Try it out and let me know how it came out..